Lt. Commander
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Tracker upgrade

Postby Icewolf » Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:37 pm

Recently new tracker was created by Arch.
This tracker supports games hosted on Retro mod by Drakona. It is good alternative especially since Matts tracker often loses track on games recently.
New tracker provides all sorts of data (similar to dxxspy) and it also has archive of games played.
The tracker makes dxxspy program obsolete which saves me from updating it in the future, what a relief :lol:
How to use new tracker?
Below are 3 methods. It's up to you which one you wish to choose.

Method 1 (you can still use either tracker - switching between them with shortcuts ) :
CLICK HERE FOR METHOD 1

Method 2 (batch files similar to method 1 but super easy) :
CLICK HERE FOR METHOD 2

Method 3 (one time edit of ini files to use only alternate tracker) :

This is the only method which will work for all your rebirth versions in the game folder at once
To use Arch's tracker configure your d1x.ini and d2x.ini:
find the line:
;-tracker_hostaddr <n>

and replace it with (or just append your ini file with):
-tracker_hostaddr retro-tracker.game-server.cc

you can also view the games on the website interface here:
http://retro-tracker.game-server.cc/

retrotracker.JPG

While ago Verran planned to introduce automatic system for rangers game reporting. It would require acquisition of game data (placements, pilot names, etc) in order to work. Arch's tracker has it all and more - it also has an archive - which could be used for automatic game reporting. Hopefully we will get that at some point after Verran's return from leave of absence.

PS Be advised that Arch's tracker will queue your game often to obtain more information than old tracker creating additional traffic.
Drakona
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Re: Tracker upgrade

Postby Drakona » Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:49 pm

A couple comments!

Messing with the .ini file is a hassle, and makes it difficult to switch back and forth between using the two trackers. I recommend setting it up like I have: with the shortcuts. I have four Descent shortcuts on my desktop:

The D1 shortcuts (and likewise the D2) both go to the same .exe in the same folder, so I don't have to copy over missions, demos, pilot config file changes, and so forth. The tracker can be put in the shortcut's target line. Right click, properties . . .

So I can easily launch Descent with either tracker.

---------------------

One thing to bear in mind is that Arch's tracker scrapes games from the main tracker, gets status for them, and archives them. It doesn't go the other way, though. This means:

-Your games will be subject to the extra traffic (game info requests -- as if someone was using Dspy on them) from Arch's tracker, either way. It doesn't matter which tracker you use. (Note, Arch and I talked about this when he was designing it -- Even though his tracker polls the game for scores fairly frequently, I anticipate that his tracker will actually reduce this sort of traffic, as nobody needs to use DSpy now. :) At less than 1kb, and he polls -- I think -- every 5 seconds, this is a tiny tax on the connection compared to, e.g., having another player in the game.)

- All your game info (scores, settings, etc.) will be displayed on the new tracker, either way. It doesn't matter which tracker you use.

- The final scores will be archived on Arch's tracker either way. It doesn't matter which tracker you use.

What it does affect:

- If you host on the main tracker, your games will be seen by pilots using the main tracker AND the new tracker
- If you host on Arch's tracker, your games will only be seen by pilots using Arch's tracker

- If you launch with the main tracker, you can only join games hosted on the main tracker
- If you launch with Arch's tracker, you can join games from either tracker

In practice, this means:

- If you plan to host a game, use the main tracker shortcut. That way everyone will see it.
- If you plan to join a game, use the Arch tracker shortcut. That way you'll see all the games. And the main tracker seems to "lose" games that are still playing a lot more often than the Arch tracker does, so even if the game was hosted on the main tracker, you may not be able to join it unless you are using Arch's.

And of course,

- If either tracker is down, host and join using the other one. ;)

Clear as mud? :)

------------

As a final comment, the score archiving system on Arch's tracker seems to be about 95% reliable. Sometimes it doesn't catch the very end of the game, and sometimes it -- inexplicably -- loses the game in the middle, and archives a partial score.

This means that while it's nice for verifying scores on Rangers games, and surely a boon to the long-suffering souls who do game validation, if you are running a game, you should still make sure you grab the scores before you leave. I would not totally DEPEND on Arch's tracker to get them for you. Of course, if you alt-tab out and see that it has them, you're all good, and it might save you some work with a pen. :) But CHECK first!
Icewolf
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Icewolf » Mon Aug 11, 2014 2:31 am

Nicely described.
I see one potential problem which is related with confusion as usual.
- we have 2 trackers and they are not 100% redundant which is a boomer.
Some people choose to use Arch's tracker in all cases - which is convenient since requires ini modification once and there you go. Now, some casual player (ranger) wants to join the game yet he fails to see it in his game since he is using default (Matt's) tracker. Trick with shortcuts is better in this case but it requires a bit more 'clicks'.
My point is that - both methods are very easy for me, you and plenty of others yet there are people who are not much IT literate and it will be a pain for them to do it even with above description.
I hope one day it could be solved with better communication between the trackers.

You can't register the game on the tracker for someone else since it verifies the IP of the sender otherwise Arch's one could register its games on the other... I wonder if commandline switch would take 2 addresses in one line...
There is work around - make custom tracker register its games on official with own ip and if 'i want to join' packet arrives inform the client to use other tracker with error code/message and/or use altered game info pointing to another tracker (if its not possible to rewrite host's ip during joining process - I dont remember).Simply put - leave a clue of some kind (altered mission title or game name for example) on official tracker that there is a game up but on the other tracker.
New Mumble welcome message:
Welcome to Descent Rangers sensory deprivation chamber. As a part of your training Material Defender, you will be left here without any games for whole night.
BEWARE
Drakona
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Postby Drakona » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:46 am

Ok, y'all. Here's a batch file to launch Retro 1.3 with the alternate tracker. Merry Christmas.

D1: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/146 ... racker.bat

D2: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/146 ... racker.bat

Instructions:

1. If you've messed with your .ini file, put it back the way it was. Take out the -tracker_hostaddr line you put in there.

2. Download this batch file and put it in your Descent directory.

3. Create a shortcut to it on your desktop. Name it something like D[12]x Alt Tracker.

4. (Optional) Right click said shortcut, go to 'Properties', and toward the bottom, click 'Change Icon'. Browse to your Descent directory and find the D1x-rebirth.ico file.
Last edited by Drakona on Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Drakona
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Postby Drakona » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:59 am

And if you've already done the shortcut thing I recommended above, there's no reason to bother with these batch files. It's just an easier (????) way of doing the same thing.
Icewolf
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Icewolf » Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:45 pm

Hey Drak... about these shortcuts ... imagine for the sake of consistency maybe you should provide shortcuts for 0.58.1 vanilla too, both d1 and d2 and... for future release maybe for some previous versions too :lol: so many shortcuts :lol:
Welcome to Descent Rangers sensory deprivation chamber. As a part of your training Material Defender, you will be left here without any games for whole night.
BEWARE
Drakona
Not Active
• Red Dragons

Postby Drakona » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:52 pm

Yeah, I make shortcuts for whatever versions of Descent I'm frequently running. Sometimes that's a stable build and an experimental one, sometimes it's Retro and Vanilla. Right now it's main tracker and alt tracker.

I haven't had cause to run Vanilla for some time . . .
Icewolf
Lt. Commander
Lt. Commander
• Black Lions
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Icewolf » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:51 pm

Topic cleared, please post tracker related stuff.
Thanks.
BEWARE
melvin
Ranger
Ranger
• Red Dragons

Postby melvin » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:22 pm

Why won't you talk about this? I have a million snarky things to say to describe how you have handled this, but I'll save those for my diary I guess.
Sirius
Captain
Captain
• Event Manager
• Game Manager
• Gold Phoenix Guard
• News Manager
• Senior Officer

Postby Sirius » Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:05 pm

New topic / take to private messages / e-mail council is usually the best option depending what the problem is.

Return to “Tech Support”